Write a (2-3) page paper in which you:
1. Select at least two (2) types of changes (e.g., public and society, law enforcement officers, police bureaucracy, standards community involvement, technology, etc.), and examine how the selected changes have affected police operations, mission and values, or goals and objectives in the 21st century in the United States. Support your response.
2. Explain the various lines of communications present within any given local law enforcement agency. Next, determine at least two (2) challenges and concerns that law enforcement might encounter with communication and suggest your strategy to mitigate the challenges. Support your response.
3. Examine the importance of police patrol in modern policing.
4. Identify at least two (2) quality of life issues (e.g., panhandlers, prostitution, problems associated with bars and clubs, police interaction with individuals who are mentally ill, homeless people and civil disobedience) that permeate modern law enforcement practices. Propose a response to these issues, based on common practices as outlined in the text, and provide your rationale.
5. Compare and contrast police reactions as they relate to violence in schools, homes, and workplaces. Provide one (1) example of each to support your response.
6. Use at least three (3) quality academic resources as references, such as journal articles, newspapers, magazines, and publications from law enforcement associations. Note: Wikipedia, blogs, and similar websites do not qualify as quality academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
1. Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
Demonstrate knowledge of the history of law enforcement.
Compare and contrast the hierarchy of command associated with modern law enforcement agencies.
Discuss the theoretical undertones of policing strategies (i.e., community policing, patrol patterns).
Discuss ideological and practical positions and debate controversial issues in policing.
Use technology and information resources to research advanced issues in law enforcement.
Write clearly and concisely about advanced issues in law enforcement using proper grammar and mechanics.
Be very direct and concise no any information outside the topic should be presented
The Basics behind Effective Police Operations
The police play an important role in the community, ensuring law and order, as well as the safety of people and property through security services. Law enforcement officers have constitutional powers and responsibility to conduct their duties meant to ensure public safety. However, they encounter numerous issues, including legal and ethical challenges, such as the need to use force, on the one hand, and protect the rights of offenders, on the other. Thus, they should understand how to balance these areas, as well as have skills, such as investigative and interrogation to fulfill their mandate effectively. Although their duty remains the same, changes in society, such as standard community involvement and development of technology, affect policing, their lines of communication, and police patrol as they address life issues and react to violence in the community.
Some of the changes that have affected police operations, mission, and values, or goals and objectives are standard community involvement and development of technology. Standard community policing demands that the police involve members of the community they serve in the policing activities. The model demands that the police partner with the public to identify and create solutions for security issues affecting them. Technology, such as CCTV and other surveillance techniques have also affected policing, such as improving their patrolling activities (Brogden & Nijhar, 2013). The two changes have increased the demand for accountability among law enforcement officers.
Communication is one of the means through which the police achieve their objectives. Communication occurs internally (from the executives, such as chief of police to subordinates and vice versa or externally, between law enforcement officers and members of the community they serve) (Lewandowski & Nestel, 2016). Some of the challenges that law enforcement might encounter with communication include bureaucracy, where executives hinder information sharing from subordinates, and a police culture that hinders open communication. The most effective strategy to mitigate the challenges is to change the culture within the police department, such as through training to create a conducive environment for effective communication.
Police patrol plays an important role in modern policing because it allows the police to be directly engaged in crime prevention and to partners with members of the community. It is part of the community policing model to collaborate with the public to prevent and address crime in a proactive manner.
Various quality of life issues, such as prostitution, homeless people, and civil disobedience affect modern law enforcement practices. The most effective solution to address the issues is creating an integrated and collaborative model to engage all stakeholders affected by the issues (Kratcoski & Edelbacher, 2015). Law enforcement can only be effective in addressing life issues affecting the community by working with the affected persons. For example, they should collaborate with agencies that provide homes to the homeless or social service to provide support to people who engage in prostitution to gain meaningful employment. Such steps will address the cause of the problem proactively.
The police react differently to violence in schools, homes, and workplaces because of the dynamics of each setting. For example, when reacting to violence at school, law enforcement collaborates with the school administration to prevent trauma in children and also install security mechanisms to prevent future occurrence (Higgins, Overstreet, Coffey, & Fisher, 2019). While they should remain proactive when responding to all types of violence, in domestic or workplace violence, they engage the justice system by arresting perpetrators.
In conclusion, the role of the police in society is critical. The modern-day setting requires adequate collaboration between the police and the community that they serve. Such partnerships have improved preventive measures to reduce the rate of crime. Thus, law enforcement agencies should seek more collaborative efforts to deal with crime effectively.
Brogden, M., & Nijhar, P. (2013). Community policing. London: Routledge.
Higgins, E. M., Overstreet, S., Coffey, B., & Fisher, B. W. (2019). ‘Bridging the gap’: school resource officers as bridge builders in the community policing era. Journal of Crime and Justice, 1-16. doi:10.1080/0735648X.2019.1704837.
Kratcoski, P. C., & Edelbacher, M. (Eds.). (2015). Collaborative Policing: Police, Academics, Professionals, and Communities Working Together for Education, Training, and Program Implementation (Vol. 25). New York: CRC Press.
Lewandowski, C., & Nestel, T. J. (2016). Police communication at the local level: an exploratory study. Journal of Policing, Intelligence, and Counter-Terrorism, 11(1), 49-62. doi:10.1080/18335330.2016.1161224