Biochemistry | Nursing homework help
- Option A will require more heat to separate the two strands.
- The reason for this is that Option A has a higher number of G-C base pairs, which have three hydrogen bonds between them, compared to A-T base pairs, which have only two hydrogen bonds. The extra hydrogen bond makes the G-C base pairs stronger and thus more energy (heat) is required to break them apart.
- The mRNA sequence produced during the transcription of the given DNA sequence would be 5′-ACGUCAGGUUUCCGU-3′. The only difference between DNA and RNA nucleotides is that RNA contains uracil (U) instead of thymine (T).
- Four enzymes/proteins that play a role in human DNA replication are:
- DNA helicase: This enzyme unwinds the double helix structure of the DNA by breaking the hydrogen bonds between the complementary base pairs.
- DNA polymerase: This enzyme adds nucleotides to the newly synthesized strand of DNA using the existing strand as a template.
- Primase: This enzyme synthesizes a short RNA primer that provides a starting point for DNA polymerase to begin adding nucleotides.
- DNA ligase: This enzyme joins the Okazaki fragments (small fragments of the lagging strand) together by creating a phosphodiester bond between them.
Each of these enzymes plays a crucial role in the replication of DNA, ensuring that the genetic information is accurately passed on to the next generation of cells.