Bus372 assignment – cost of living
1) In the city of Chicago, police officers are expected to respond to at least 2,000 calls per month.
2) Police officers are often required to work overtime in order to meet these expectations.
3) On average, police officers work an additional 10-15 hours per week beyond their normal 40-hour shift.
4) The extra hours taken on by police officers often results in fatigue and leads to a higher rate of accidents while on duty.
5) In 2017, there were 524 reported incidents involving Chicago police officers being injured while on duty due to exhaustion or fatigue.
Argument: Due to the high number of calls they are expected to respond to each month combined with mandatory overtime requirements, Chicago police officers face an increased risk for fatigue related injuries on the job. This is clearly evident from the data which shows that there have been over 500 reported incidents since 2017 alone of police officer injuries due a lack of rest and proper sleep given their demanding schedules and workloads. As such, it would be wise for officials in the department take measures such as providing more resources or reducing call response times in order reduce this risk and ultimately protect the safety and well-being of those who serve our City’s citizens every day.