1944’s Lorraine Campaign was the most unsuccessful and costly campaign in American military history. Despite the long and indecisive struggle in Lorraine, there was a significant number of division-level instructional actions during the fighting. Nancy was one such mission. Particularly, in September 1944 the 4th Armored Division took part in the encirclement Nancy. Although this division was powerful, it was very light. The total number of artillery pieces and tanks in the division was 54, with just under 11,000 commanders and enlisted personnel. An armored division had three mechanized units: a cavalry unit equipped with division trains; an engineer battalion equipped with light and armored tanks and heavy vehicles; and a mechanized squadron with division trains. The division also included soldiers from army corps and pool troops. Major General John Wood led the 4th Armored Division. This was accomplished through three task force headquarters: Combat Command B, Reserve Command and Combat Command. Combat Command was also used to command and direct the unit. Wood actually accepted the 4th Armored Division’s doctrine that the Division needed to rely on bulk to exploit holes and open spaces, quick action, surprise and stealth to conquer critical territory or eliminate opposing formations. Wood made sure that these principles were taught and tested during operations in Texas and England’s Salisbury Plain. The drills earned the 4th Armored Division a reputation as a unit of initiative and aggression. Wood was a master of defiance. He used to go faster and further than his superiors, interfering in set-piece training situations.