Catcher in the Rye: QUIZ
After reading The Catcher in the Rye, answer the following questions (carefully).
1. Where does Holden go to school? Does he like it?
2. Why isn’t Holden at the football game with everyone else?
3. Who are Holden’s siblings (list their names), and how does Holden feel about each?
4. What are some reasons Holden might put on/take off his hat?
5. Why does Holden ask so many people (mostly cab drivers) about the ducks in Central Park?
6. Does Holden think men and women can be friends? Why or why not?
7. Why does Holden think about Allie shortly after his encounter with Sunny (the prostitute)?
8. What does Holden notice about Dick Slagle’s suitcases? Why do you think he points this out?
9. Why is Holden “fed up”? What does he intend to do about it? (What does he tell Sally?)
10. What does Holden like about the Museum of Natural History?
11. What happens when Holden stays with Antolini? How does Holden interpret the encounter? How do you interpret the encounter?
12. What is the significance of the book’s title?
13. When Holden sees two kids on a see-saw, who does he help? Why?
14. What does Holden realize as he watches Phoebe (and the other children) on the carousel?
15. Do you trust Holden? Why/why not?