AT THIS POINT IN THE SEMESTER, WE’VE STUDIED HOW TO EVALUATE ART AND THE VARIOUS METHODOLOGIES. LETS PUT THAT TO WORK! EACH OF THESE ARTWORKS HAVE A RICH HISTORY BEHIND THEM. NOT ONLY DOES THE SUBJECT TELL A STORY, BUT THE CONTEXT INFORMS THE ART AS WELL- AND PROVIDES AN EVEN MORE RICH ORIGIN STORY! IT IS THROUGH THE WRITINGS ABOUT ART, THAT WE ARE ABLE TO CONTINUE THE ANALYSIS AND DEEPEN OUR UNDERSTATING OF THE ART.
- Write a 3 page research paper including two of the artwork/artist pairs below, ONLY.
- Use at least 1 bullet point from each of the 3 Methods of Analysis (see below). Again, notthree bullets from the same method.
- Your interpretation of the Methods of Analysis MUST be based on the descriptions in Chapter 4, and I will be using those definitions/descriptions when grading your work.
- MLA format- http://www.easybib.com/guides/citation-guides/mla-…
- 1000 words or 4 pages max, not including works cited page
- You must use a minimum of 2 sources, not including your textbook.
- This assignment must be uploaded via Canvas’ assignment repository. Your essay will be verified through Turnitin’s originality checker.
- All papers must include a “works cited” page for all sources. Plagiarized work will result in an automatic 0% on the research paper.
Again, plagiarized work will result in an automatic 0% on the research paper.
EXCELLENT OPTIONAL RESOURCES:
- Khan Academy
- Smart History
ARTISTS AND ARTWORKS
Sandro Boticelli’s, Birth of Venus
Artemesia Gentileschi, Judith and Holofernes
Pablo Picasso, Les Demoiselles de Avignon
Jean-Honore Fragonard, The Swing
Gianlorenzo Bernini, Cornero Chapel with the Esctacy of St.Teresa
Eduard Manet, Olympia *For more analysis look into Titian’s Venus of Urbino
Jan van Eyke, The Wedding Portrait
Isenheim Alterpice, Matthias Gruenwald
Jose-Clemente Orozco, An Epic of American Civilization
METHODS OF ANALYSIS
1. Content Analysis
- Subject Matter
2. Historical Context
- Context for the creation of artwork
- Physical surroundings
- Method of encounter
3. Writings About Art
- Modern Criticisms
- Ideological Criticisms
- Psychoanalytic Criticisms
- Post structuralism
- Feminist Criticism
If you would like to access the book for chapter 4 log into this website
mindtap the name of the book