Constitutional Rights and Administrative Goals
[WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 2, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please review the assigned material in your Stojkovic and Lovell (2019) textbook. Additionally, please read the article Toward a More Constitutional Approach to Solitary Confinement: The Case for Reform (Links to an external site.). As you recall, Week 1 had you prepare an outline to provide a foundation for this week’s assignment. For this assignment, you will develop your outline into a two-to-three-page paper. The goal is to consider constitutional rights of incarcerated persons and administrative objectives for correctional institutions. Additionally, this paper will also have you consider diversity awareness and cultural sensitivity issues in corrections. You will support your work with two scholarly and/or credible resources, in addition to your textbook. You may use scholarly and/or credible resources included in your Week 1 Issues and Constitutional Rights in Corrections assignment. Address each of the elements below:
- Constitutional rights and administration
- Explain how constitutional rights of incarcerated persons are balanced with the correctional system functions of the jail or prison.
- Explain the mandatory rights that prison administrators must provide incarcerated persons, and how those rights are balanced with the security, safety, court requirements, visits, and other functions of the facility.
- Examine a U.S. Supreme Court case (you may use your selected case from your Week 1 Issues and Constitutional Rights in Corrections assignment) that balances correctional administrative goals with the constitutional rights of incarcerated persons.
- Diversity and cultural sensitivity issues
- Explain at least one cultural sensitivity issue and at least one diversity issue in corrections (you may use the cultural sensitivity issue and diversity issue from your Week 1 Issues and Constitutional Rights in Corrections assignment).
- Analyze perspectives on each issue within the context of constitutional rights and administrative functions in corrections.
*Note: You are encouraged to integrate any feedback from your instructor and upload the assignment to your ePortfolio (Links to an external site.).
The Constitutional Rights and Administrative Goals paper
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.