Knowledge of Students and Student Needs
TNT 700.2P KNOWLEDGE OF STUDENTS AND STUDENT NEEDS
Effective teaching begins with understanding your students: how they learn, their background and issues that they might face. In the course, TCR 300 Meet Your Students, you were introduced to twenty-four students who are representative of the students in Texas. Several of these students have significant academic issues and/or emotional issues that may impact their performance. This performance-based assessment requires you to identify and research the societal or cultural issues that are faced by four of these students and how they impact their achievement.
Please allow 3 – 5 business days for scoring.
Using PowerPoint or Google Slides, you are to create a presentation appropriate for use with other educators or parents. In this presentation you are to do the following:
- Identify each student and the issue he or she is facing. You must use the four student profiles provided below. Please DO NOT copy and paste the descriptions provided. Rather, you should explain what you feel are the core issues each face after reading the description.
- Identify the developmental impact of each issue. How is the issue impacting the student in the classroom? What does the teacher see that is interfering with learning? You will need to include the research that is directly related to the issues and aligned to the developmental goals for the students. For example, you might include a statement such as “According to Dr. I. M. Expert, cyber-bullying is detrimental to a student’s development because it makes students feel unsafe.”
- Research and provide resources that are directly related to the issue and are aligned to the developmental goals for students. These are resources a parent or teacher could use to learn more about the issue and how to address the impact of the issue. These are resources that may be available in your community, such as food banks, language lessons for parents, etc. You may also choose to include resources that are available from federal, state, and local governments. These are NOT the resources used in your research.
- You will suggest supports teachers can use in the classroom to mitigate the impacts of the issue.
- Your presentation should be at least 11 slides long. You are expected to have an introductory slide, two slides per student,a closing slide, and a resource/bibliography page for the sources you use in the project.
- The presentation must be your original work, and professional in its use of images, language and formatting. Use of another’s work will earn an automatic zero and may be grounds for dismissal from the program.
Material needed and evaluation criteria
The full instructions and necessary information are found in the TNT 700.2P Knowledge of Students and Student Needs document. Your project will be scored using criteria outlined in the TNT 700.2P Rubric. The criteria includes the identification and explanation of student issues and needs; the developmental impact of those needs; supports and resources available in the school and community, and the overall professionalism of the presentation. To successfully complete the project and avoid resubmission, study both the directions and the criteria for evaluation carefully. Download both documents to begin.
When you are ready to submit your assignment click the Submit Assignment button. Be sure to refer to the rubric for more detailed information about fulfilling the expectations of this assignment. You must score at least 40 points out of 50 points to pass this assignment.
When you receive a passing score, return to the home page and select the “Course Complete” page to conclude this course and post the completion date to your portal. Failure to do so will delay the portal update to your account.
Do not take this step until you have received a passing grade. Doing so will remove you from the course and if you have not passed will delay your completion. Please allow 3 – 5 business days for scoring.