Researching theories of child and early adolescent development and then developing instruction based on research-based best practices is crucial for the success of the students and the teacher. As an educator, your goal will be to consider the students’ cognitive development and contextual factors when planning for instruction. Practical application improves the teacher’s ability to recognize student strengths and weaknesses as well as the students’ readiness and motivation to learn.
For this assignment, complete the “Strategies for all Students” template.
Part 1: Developing Strategies
For each student, write a 150-200 word response that includes:
- A learning theory that applies specifically to each student’s unique cognitive, linguistic, social-emotional, and physical developmental needs.
- One developmentally appropriate instruction strategy you would recommend to assist the student, taking into account the students’ individual strengths, interests, differences and needs. Consider cognitive development and abilities, as well as contextual factors (e.g., language and culture) when developing the strategies.
- Your plan to modify instruction to meet this student’s specific needs.
- Strategies to incorporate accommodations for students with exceptionalities in assessments and testing conditions.
Part 2: Reflection
In 250-500 words, write a reflection that addresses the following:
- The importance of understanding cognitive, linguistic, social-emotional, and physical development of children when designing and modifying instruction.
- The steps you can take to ensure you are creating developmentally appropriate instruction that takes into account individual students’ strengths, interests, differences, and needs, using instructional strategies that promote students’ learning and individual development, acquisition of knowledge, and motivation .
Support your assignment with a minimum of 3 scholarly resources.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented, using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies [and professional standards]:
BS in Elementary Education
BS in Elementary Education and Special Education
BS in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in English as a Second Language
BS in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in STEM
BS in Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Teaching Reading
Design and modify instruction applying the major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the cognitive, linguistic, social-emotional, and physical development of children and young adolescents that supports the role of language and culture in learning, and readiness for learning across performance areas. [ACEI 1.0; InTASC 1(a), 1(e), 1(f), 1(g), 2(c), 2(d), 2(e), 2(g), 2(i), 2(j), 2(k), 2(o); MC2, MC3, MC5]
Create developmentally appropriate instruction that takes into account individual students’ strengths, interests, differences, and needs, using instructional strategies that promote students’ learning and individual development, acquisition of knowledge, and motivation. [ACEI 1.0; InTASC 1(b), 1(d), 1(h), 1(i), 2(a), 2(b), 2(f), 2(g), 2(h), 2(l), 2(m), 2(n); MC2, MC3