Goal: To develop skills in critically assessing the primary literature and presenting the findings of clinical research.
- Summarize and critically evaluate a research article.
- Assess the soundness of research methods and study design.
- Evaluate the presentation and analysis of data.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of the study.
- Prepare a 2-3 page typewritten outline to be handed in. Suggested format:
Journal Article Reference
- Study objective
- Justification for study
- Research design
- Inclusion/exclusion criteria
- Treatment protocol
- Statistical tests
Discussion / Conclusion
- State the title of the article, authors, journal name, and issue.
- Describe methods used in study. Summarize inclusion/exclusion criteria. Describe treatment given and tests to assess outcome.
- Record results and specify which findings are statistically significant.
- State the authors’ conclusion and be able to defend or dispute these conclusions. Discuss future implications to clinical practice.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of the study. Suggest improvements if possible.
- Provide conclusions independent of the authors’ conclusions