ILO: Demonstrate competency in library research.
Investigate an article in a discipline-specific database and write about it in the Discussion Forum
In the Library Databases LibGuide, click on the tab that represents your major. Choose a database from the top list and do a search on your topic. Choose a result from the first page that looks like it would be helpful in your research. Answer the following and post to the Discussion Forum:
- What database did this come from?
- Who is the author?
- What can you find out about the author’s qualifications?
- When was this written?
- Is this item peer reviewed?
- What is the original source of the item (e.g., journal, book)?
- What is the author’s purpose in writing this item?
- Is there an abstract?
- What is the main idea of the article? Does it involve research the author(s) did?
After answering each of these questions, write a short paragraph (200 words) comparing this article to the encyclopedia articles. Which might be more helpful for your paper? What are the similarities? Differences?
- A student’s initial post should be at least 200 words in length.