Introduction: The term tissue is used to describe a group of cells working together in the body to perform a specific function. Although there are many types of cells in the human body, they are organized into four broad categories of tissues: epithelial, connective, muscle, and nervous.
For this discussion post, you will visit the website Science Daily, bringing the latest science news to a general audience, to find an article that is related to histology, the science focused on the structure and functions of tissues. Use the terms tissue and histology in the search box to bring up a list of articles. Since this is a first come first serve choice, please review previous postings so there will be no choosing of the same article.
In your post, please address the following:
- What is the title and publication date of your selected article?
- Write a summary paragraph about the main points of the article.
- How does your article relate to the following questions?
- Define what are cells and how they relate to tissues.
- Why the cells and tissues needed and what are their specific functions?
- How are the cells in your article characterized (e.g., the cell shapes, their arrangements; related to the epithelia, whether the cells are squamous, cuboidal, columnar, or transitional, and whether they constitute simple or stratified epithelia)
- If your article addresses it, describe tissue dysfunction and its consequences. If not, pick a type of cell in an organ system of interest (e.g., melanocytes in the skin or the retina of the eye) and discuss what would happen to the tissue if this specific cell type was missing or not working properly.