You will be creating a technical document. It should illustrate your use of math, technology, graphs and communication skills.
Your document will contain two scenarios, both utilizing exponential functions and their graphs: Part I Exponential Growth and Part II Exponential Decay
In each scenario, you will create a representation with the help of Microsoft Excel to generate a graph, which will display your information from some real-world time oriented data.
Start with creating a document in Microsoft Word
Use the following heading:
Math 1314 College Algebra
Core Assignment Critical Thinking
Data Trend Assignment
Part I Exponential Growth
Use the Internet to find some data of exponential growth.
Examples of exponential growth might include disease spread in a population (Corona virus statistics in a country or state), the change in a country’s population, the world population, the rising cost of home prices in our nation, etc.
- Your report must include data values.
- Your report must include a graph.
- The graph must contain plotted points of your data.
- The best fit exponential equation (generated by Excel or developed algebraically)
- Title for the graph and labels for horizontal and vertical axes.
- You must give a verbal description of the information presented in your graph.
- Explain what the data is measuring and the unit of time that is used (days, months, years, and hours)
- You must include a description of how the values change (as a %) for your given unit of time.
- Include numerical prediction from step 3
- You must use the equation found in step 2 to make a numerical prediction of a future data value beyond your data set.
- You need to substitute a value for time into your equation to make your prediction and explain.
- Cite your sources.
Part II Exponential Decay
(Repeat the 5-step process from Part I)
Examples of exponential decay might include the decreasing value of a purchased and aging vehicle. Radioactive decay is another example. You may use the following websites for data nadaguides.com or Kbb.com
- Data Values: 10 points each, Part I & Part II
- Graph and equation: 15 points each, Part I & Part II
- Verbal Description: 10 points each, Part I and Part II
- Numerical Prediction 10 points each, Part I & Part II
- Data Source: 5 points each, Part I & Part II
Total: 100 points