Complete two learning exercises from chapters 4 & 5 of the text. This will provide you with an opportunity to apply the concepts discussed in the role of planning for HR results.
Please answer all the questions for the two learning exercises listed below. Answers should be thorough and complete for each question. Please write your responses in a word document for submission and use the APA format as a guideline. Double-space and use a 12 point font, 300 words per learning exercise. The combined responses should consist of at least two pages of discussion for the combined questions and topics. Use the following information to support you in completing this assignment correctly.
Learning Exercise 1 – Chapter 4
Research the relationship between job design and a topic related to either employee stress or work/life balance. Using information from this text, from the class lecture, and from your research, prepare a one-page summary of best practices that companies have used to manage stress or work/life issues.
- How does job design affect either employee stress or work/life balance?
- Are certain job design approaches better than others for addressing employees’ stress or work/life balance? Why?
- What organizational or environmental factors might prevent managers from implementing the job design options you noted in your response to Question 2?
Learning Exercise 2 – Chapter 5
As a manager, you have a number of tactics to choose from to cope with a labor shortage or surplus. Relying on overtime; hiring contingent labor; focusing on employee retention; using promotions, transfers, and demotions; and hiring new full-time employees are tactics you can use to remedy a labor shortage. When faced with a labor surplus, you might consider implementing layoffs, focusing on attrition and hiring freezes, developing early retirement programs, or using promotions, transfers, and demotions to move employees to other areas of the company.
- What are the advantages of each of these tactics?
- What are the disadvantages of each of these tactics?
- Considering the advantages and disadvantages of each tactic, develop a strategy for when each of the tactics should be used and should not be used. Which organizational demands and environmental considerations are particularly important in your strategy?