Communities do not exist in a bubble. Often changes made in the larger society, driven by technology, have an unexpected effect on local communities. Consider the effects of the advancements in transportation technologies on communities. Routes of transportation have evolved from water to train to the road and then to air. Each of these advancements led to job displacement and changes in travel routes. In the United States, prior to the mid-1800s, the communities that thrived had water access and ports where the exchange of goods and services occurred. With the building of the transcontinental railway and the growth of transportation by rail, the communities that thrived had train depots. With the building of major highways in the 1900s, access to those roads became critical to survival. With each advancement, local communities were impacted, such that many communities that grew around train depots became ghost towns full of poverty, homelessness, and despair once train travel was no longer the primary means of human transportation.
In this assignment, you are asked to create a presentation on one of the following topics:
- Green Energy
- Communication Technology
- Remote Elementary Education
- Remote High School Education
- Remote Work
You can create your presentation in your choice of presentation media. For example, you could choose to create a PowerPoint presentation, a video, or use Prezi. (refer to the Unit 1 assignment) If you choose to use video, you are required to supply a script as well as the URL of the video.
In your presentation, you must address the following:
- Describe the specific technological development and its association with your chosen topic.
- Explain why you chose that topic and the technological advancement associated with it.
- Discuss which demographic (income, age, sexual preference, ethnicity) and/or geographic feature (urban, suburban, rural) might be most affected by the changes. Support your opinion with three (3) external references.
- Explore the societal impacts (good and bad) associated with the technology. include a discussion for each of the following:
- Economic impacts (unemployment, loss of revenue, poverty), include one (1) external reference
- Health impacts (including mental health), include one (1) external reference
- Privacy concerns, include one (1) external reference
- Community life, include one (1) external reference
Be sure to use appropriate sources for the external references required for this assignment.