Horace Mann advocated that a primary social goal of schooling is to provide moral instruction to children in order to reduce the crime rate. Today, prominent social goals of school are to promote morals and character education, to improve children’s health and nutrition and to also create school communities through extracurricular activities, after-school programs and school spirit (Spring, 2018). Many initiatives have been designed to promote the social goals of school, ranging from character education programs, programs designed to educate us on bullying, and cyberbullying, programs designed to improve school nutrition, programs designed to prevent drug and alcohol abuse, and extracurricular activities.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Write a paper (1,500-1,750 words) in which you identify and discuss three initiatives designed to promote social goals in American K-12 education. Include the following in your paper:
- An explanation of each initiative, along with what the initiative is intended to achieve.
- A discussion of the benefits and drawbacks of the program.
- As an educational leader, what new strategies will you implement to achieve these social goals? (Note: references for these strategies will support the theory of the strategies but not the strategies themselves since they will new and will not have been tried yet)