Laboratory Report Cover Sheet
College of Engineering and Information Sciences
Course Number: ECET110
Laboratory Number: 1
Laboratory Title: Analysis of a Series Circuit using Simulation and Actual Construction
Submittal Date: Click here to enter a date.
1. To construct a series circuit correctly and measure its equivalent resistance.
2. To predict and verify electrical characteristics of a series circuit using Ohm’s Law and Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law.
3. Determine the voltage across each resistor in the series circuit using the voltage divider rule. Measure and verify the same using the simulations. Use these values to also prove that the power delivered by the source is equal to the sum total of power dissipated by all the resistors in the circuit.
What would happen to the readings on the meters if particular attention to the polarities of the terminals of the meters is not adhered to? Will the magnitudes of the readings change? Explain the consequences in your own
Did you prove Ohm’s Law to be true for a series circuit? YES or NO
2. Explain how you proved Ohm’s Law.
3. Did you prove Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law to be true? YES or NO
4. Explain how you proved Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law.
5. What would happen to the current IT if one of the resistors, like R3 is SHORT circuited by chance? Will the current, compared to the original value:
6. What is the power dissipated by each resistor under the new circumstances (R3 SHORTED)? Also, express your answers in engineering units.
7. Under the above conditions, do we need to change the ratings of the resistors?