Ashford 3: – Week 2 – Assignment
Story Element Lesson Plan
Chapter 4 of your text provides an in-depth look at the elements that help make up a good children’s book. For this assignment, you will create a lesson plan devoted to one of those key elements. You will first decide on a grade level to teach this lesson to. Next, choose a story that you feel is developmentally appropriate for that grade level. Then, plan a lesson that utilizes that story. Your lesson needs to focus on introducing or teaching one of the story elements shared in Chapter 4 such as: character, plot, setting, theme, or even beginning, middle, or end. In Week 5, you will be building upon this lesson plan to create a week long unit, so please consider what you would like the theme of your unit to be when you are choosing a piece of literature for this lesson. For this assignment, you have two options:
Option One: You can produce a 10-minute video of yourself teaching this lesson. Within the video, explain which guidelines for evaluating children’s literature you took into account for this lesson. You will upload your video to YouTube (or similar site) and submit a Word document that includes the following:
- An introduction at the beginning of the video that identifies the grade level you are working with, the title and author of the book you are using for the lesson, and the story element to be taught.
- A description of your completed lesson plan by clearly stating what you will do for each section of the lesson plan template.
- An explanation of how at least one story map from Story Maps, will be utilized during your lesson.
- A closing summary that explains the guidelines for evaluating children’s literature that you took into account for this lesson. Make sure your closing summary is supported by scholarly resources.
Option Two: You can create a three- to four-page Word document. If you choose to create a word document, it must include the following:
- The grade level you are working with.
- The title and author of the book you are utilizing.
- All aspects of the lesson plan are included. You must use this lesson plan template.
- At least one story map from Story Maps, along with an explanation of how you will utilize it within the lesson development section of the lesson plan template.
- A closing summary explaining which of the guidelines for evaluating characteristics of quality children’s literature (from Section 4.4 of your text) you took into account when choosing the literature for this lesson.
Whichever option you choose, provide your instructor with access to your work by uploading all the necessary links and/or text in a document. Be sure that you are utilizing appropriate 6th edition APA formatting for all written material. You must reference one scholarly source in addition to the course text.
Take a moment to view the Story Elements guidance, or click here for the written transcript.