This is the third of the four assignments that will help you prepare for writing qualitative research proposals. For this assignment, you will write a paper that identifies a data analysis strategy and process for each of the two selected methodological approaches you analyzed in the Week 3 discussion. The data analysis strategy and process you identify need to align with the methodological approach. In this paper, you will explain why the data analysis needs to align with the methodological approach, and why both the data collection process and the methodological approach need to align with the research question. You will use the same subject, research topic, research theory, and data collection plan in the all assignments in this course.
Write a paper that reflects a data analysis strategy and process that aligns with a given methodological approach. Use the Week 8 Assignment Template [DOCX] to structure your paper.
- Describe the process of data analysis for the first selected methodological approach for conducting qualitative research (1–2 paragraphs).
- Describe the process of data analysis for the second selected methodological approach for conducting qualitative research (1–2 paragraphs).
- Support your assignment with appropriate academic sources and include both citations and references in current APA format. Use 3–5 scholarly resources published with the past three years by recognized academic sources.
Your assignment should also meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Length of paper: Meets the structure provided in the assignment instructions.
- Resources: 3–5 scholarly resources. Include a reference page at the end of the paper.
- APA guidelines: Double-spaced paragraph formatting in the body of the paper. When appropriate, use APA-formatted headings. Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and format. See Evidence and APA for more information on APA style and format.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Your Work will be evaluated using this criteria.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 4: Describe methods for data collection and analysis.
- Describe key elements of data analysis for the each of the two selected methodological approaches.
- Describe how the data collection process aligns with the context for each of the two selected methodological approaches.
- Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations for members in the identified field of study.
- Convey purpose in an appropriate tone and style, incorporating supporting evidence and adhering to organizational, professional, and scholarly writing standards.==
=========from week 3
The two Qualitative Approaches I chose were Ethnography and Phenomenologists research methods. Ethnography research is a form of research that focuses on examining the patterns of beliefs, behaviors, and language of a culture or society as a whole. The data is best studied by using a combination of personal involvement within the group and in-depth interaction with the group of people the researcher is studying (Creswell & Poth, 2018). This would be great in studying how America as a culture respond to 9/11. It would study how the culture affected the people and the response to the tragedy.
Phenomenologists research on the other hand focus on describing what all participants have in common as the experience a phenomenon. The example cited on page 97 is that “grief is universally experienced” (Creswell, 2015). The best way to study this is to personally find out how people interact in each situation. Observation and questionnaires would be best in this situation. An example of how this would be used would be how a person’s grief from 9/11 affected the culture around them.
In terms of similarity and differences, Ethnography is the study of people and cultures they live in, while Phenomenology is the study of subjective, lived experiences and perspectives of the people within the said culture. The vast similarity between the two of them is they look to see how people and cultures fit together. The main difference between Ethnography and Phenomenology is that ethnography focuses on the collective experiences within a certain culture whereas phenomenology focuses on the individual experiences. So, while they are both studying how people fit in a culture and society, Ethnography looks at how the society come together and work together while Phenomenology focuses on how people fit into a societal group. So, while they are both studying the same thing one uses an outside in approach and the other uses an inside out approach.
Creswell, J., & Poth, C. (2018). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing
among five approaches (4th edition). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
Creswell, J. ((2013). Qualitative inquiry & Research design choosing among five approaches.
(3rd ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA Sage.