Significance of Major Discoveries in Modern Biology
The purpose of this assignment is for you to describe a discovery, innovation, important finding and/or breakthrough in genetics, cell biology, and/or biotechnology; explain the series of events that lead to it; and give evidence of its importance and uses today. Some examples include endosymbiont theory, in vitro fertilization, GMOs, cloning, genetic engineering, PCR, genetic fingerprinting, gene therapy and DNA sequencing.
Your paper should be approximately 4-5 pages and include the following:
- A description of our topic
- Why you chose the topic and what personal relevance it has
- The people behind the innovation
- How the innovation influences society, health, agriculture, wildlife, and/or culture
- A consideration of the events, experiments, or ideas that lead to this discovery
- Examples of applications from current news/magazine articles
- Submit your document to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.