04-U9A1- Project – Organizational Analysis
What elements make up an effectively administered public organization? How do you measure that effectiveness? What levers do you pull to increase effectiveness? How do you make those decisions?
In this course project, you will demonstrate your ability to address these questions by conducting an abbreviated organizational analysis of a public agency of your choice, applying concepts in organizational theory to the practice of administering a public organization. You may use a public agency of which you have personal knowledge, or you may choose any other public agency in which you have an interest.
The project is split into two parts. In the first section of the project, you will begin to assemble a theoretical foundation for your analysis. In the second section of the project, you will fine-tune your theoretical foundation and apply the theoretical principles you’ve outlined to your organizational analysis of your chosen organization.
To successfully complete this project, you will be expected to:
- Analyze theories of organizational behavior as applied to the field.
- Evaluate methods of managing and enhancing culture in the workplace based on contemporary theory.
- Apply theories to organizations to illustrate efficacy in practices.
- Analyze theories of decision making for application in the public sector.
- Think critically and communicate effectively in organizational settings.
Final Project: Organizational Analysis
Chose a public agency for evaluation and assessment. This might be an agency that you have personal knowledge of or you may choose any other public agency in which you have an interest. [Can they/do they have to see the same agency as the first component?] Write an effectiveness audit of this agency. Your audit should be a 10–15 page paper in which you:
· Identify and describe the organization you are analyzing.
· Briefly describe how and why you will be assessing each of the following performance criteria in your effectiveness audit.
- Group development.
- Team building.
- Collaboration and coordination with outside contractors.
- Decision making.
- Communication processes.
- Power and politics.
- Organizational culture.
· Conduct your analysis using the criteria listed above. Analyze and present the results of your audit, noting areas of strengths and weaknesses. Cite the professional literature to support your analysis.
· Recommend realistic potential courses of action for improvement. Draw on practical experience and synthesize theoretical applications as part of your evaluation.
- What critical decisions would need to be made by senior leadership to support the implementation of these courses of action? How would you, as an organizational consultant, recommend they proceed? Support your discussion with references to the professional literature on decision making.
Analyzes theories of organizational behavior as applied to the field, and explains areas in which these theories may not apply.
Evaluates and synthesizes methods of managing and enhancing culture in the workplace based on contemporary theory
Applies and evaluates theories to organizations to illustrate efficacy in practices
Analyzes theories of decision making for application in the public sector, and explains how roadblocks can be overcome.
To achieve a successful project experience and outcome, you are expected to meet the following requirements.
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations should be formatted according to APA (6th Edition) style and formatting.
- Length of paper: 10-15 typed double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Arial, 12 point.