Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 5, 6
- Minimum of 2 scholarly sources (in addition to the textbook)
For this assignment, select one of the following options.
Option 1: Poetry
Select any 2 poems about the Holocaust. You can select from the following list of poets/poems or conduct additional research on Holocaust poetry. Make sure to get approval from your instructor if you are selecting something not on the list. Click on the link to see the list:
Write an analysis of each poem, including the following information:
- Explain the background on the author, especially in relation to the Holocaust.
- Explain the content of the poem – what story or message is it trying to tell?
- How does the poem relate to the bigger picture of the Holocaust?
- How effective is the poem in relating the Holocaust to readers?
Option 2: Art
Select any 2 of works of art about the Holocaust. You can select from the following list or conduct additional research on Holocaust art. Make sure to get approval from your instructor if you are selecting something not on the list. Click on the link to see the list:
Write an analysis of each artwork, including the following information:
- Identify the title, artist, date completed, and medium used.
- Explain the content of the artwork – what do the images show?
- How does the artwork relate to the bigger picture of the Holocaust?
- How effective is the artwork in relating the Holocaust to viewers?
Option 3: Video
Watch the following video:
Write a paper on what you learned about peoples’ experiences and intentions during the Holocaust:
- What were the Nazis thinking of when they made these decisions?
- What were the otherwise good people of Germany thinking when they allowed it to go on?
- What were the victims of this genocide thinking and feeling as they went through this terrible process?
- Describe at least one part of the video that had the greatest impact on you.
- How effective are the writings/images in the video in relating the Holocaust to viewers?
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 2-3 pages (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page
This activity will be graded using the W4 Essay Grading Rubric.
Course Outcomes (CO): 2, 3, 7