UK SOURCE HARVARD REFERENCES
Describe and Evaluate the Effectiveness of Behavioural Therapies”
Ensure your essay is logically structured (introduction, main body & conclusion), and be fully referenced throughout and accompanied by an accurate bibliography.
- described at least two behavioural therapies applied these therapies to at least one abnormal behaviour evaluated behavioural therapies in terms of its effectiveness
- described one form of cognitive behavioural therapy evaluated cognitive behavioural therapy in terms of its effectiveness
- identified and explained the relevant ethical issues related to the use of behavioural therapies
- used appropriate psychological terminology with reference to classical and operant conditioning and social learning theory correctly referenced work using the Harvard system
For the main body, you will need to include key research and show how these illustrate the processes of learning within the therapies you select. You should describe these succinctly, using appropriate psychological terminology. You should describe at least two behavioural therapies, clearly explaining the processes used and show how they change behaviour. You will need to explain the relevance and usefulness of the therapies in terms of how successful they are in terms of treating maladaptive behaviours. To evaluate the evidence, you should include the following:
- Consider the effectiveness of behavioural therapies – for example, you could compare and contrast the different exposure therapies and comment on how they compare in terms of effectiveness. You should use specific research examples to illustrate the effectiveness of the therapies.
- Consider the limitations associated with behavioural therapies – compare behavioural therapies with other treatments, particularly CBT; discuss the development of CBT and consider whether it has improved overall effectiveness; consider the limitation of behavioural therapies.
- Consider ethical issues associated with behavioural therapies – use specific examples to illustrate the ethical issues; use comparative techniques to help you analyse how ethical the therapies are in relation to each other (eg, compare & contrast the exposure therapies); discuss whether CBT is more ethical than behavioural therapies.